Sunday, March 7, 2021

Walking Through Grief

March seventh will forever be etched in my heart.  It is the date that my beloved husband Winston Newton Sr. transitioned to the next life. There were no goodbyes or forewarning that he was going.  There were no frantic calls for help. He went as peaceably as he lived, quietly and without fanfare.  The sudden knowledge  that we would not see him anymore was traumatic to my family, friends, neighbors and me.

My world was turned upside down.  Through the last nineteen years I learned many lessons about walking through grief. I  would like to share a dozen lessons gleaned from my walk through the valley of sorrow.


Lessons Learned


1.   Don't try to have the life you used to have. Move forward creating new 

      life as you go.

2.   Weep but keep walking. Grief will come. It takes time to heal.

3.   Don't go to that hopeless place. if you find yourself there get out, God's mercy 

      is new each day.

4.   Accept your friends’ help 

5.   Eat 

6.   Sleep

7.   Don’t try to fill the void with shopping and other things.  

8.   Don’t go into debt.  Connected to number 7

9.   Learn to be alone. 

10. Get comfortable with the discomfort. 

11. Learn to accept that my life is never going to be the same and that’s okay.

12. If necessary get  counseling, or join a grief group

  




8 comments:

  1. Great blog about walking in grief. Is a blessing. Learnt a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words. We are all learning as we walk through these different phases of life.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the lessons. I will abide by them.The children are,however making it easier for me by being there for me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May Good continue to bless you as you walk THROUGH this valley of sorrow.
      I am glad your children are there to assist in comforting you and providing you support at this difficult time.

      Delete
  3. thanks for those encouraging words on grief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend you are welcome. May God continue to strengthen you during these upcoming days. Walking through grief is so personal and no one can do it for another. The only thing I know is that God will take care of you, because God is love, kind and compassionate.

    ReplyDelete

Reassemble the Puzzle

Early December 26, 2022 my second son, Winston Kenneth Newton Jr., a husband, a brother and a friend to many  entered into eternal rest. He ...